Mrs. Williams lived in a small street in London, and now she had a new
neighbour. Her name was Mrs. Briggs, and she talked a lot about her expensive
furniture, her beautiful carpets and her new kitchen.
‘Do you know,’ she said to Mrs. Williams one day, ‘I’ve got a new
dishwasher. It washes the plates and glasses and knives and forks beautifully.’
‘Oh?’ Mrs. Williams answered. ‘And does it dry them and put them in the
Mrs. Briggs was surprised. ‘Well,’ she answered, ‘the things in the machine
are dry after an hour, but it doesn’t put them away, of course.’
‘I’ve had a dishwasher for twelve and a half years,’ Mrs. Williams said.
‘Oh?’ Mrs. Briggs answered. ‘And does yours put the things in the cupboard
when it has washed them?’ She laughed nastily.
‘Yes, he does,’ Mrs. Williams answered. ‘He dries the dishes and puts them
Տիկին Ուիլյամսն ապրում էր Լոնդոնի մի փոքրիկ փողոցում, և այժմ նա նոր հարևան ուներ։ Նրա անունը միսիս Բրիգս էր, և նա շատ էր խոսում իր թանկարժեք կահույքի, գեղեցիկ գորգի և իր նոր խոհանոցի մասին։
― Գիտե՞ք, ― ասաց նա մի օր միսիս Ուիլյամսին, ― ես նոր աման լվացող մեքենա ունեմ։ Այն գեղեցիկ լվանում է ափսեը, ապակին, դանակներն ու պատառաքաղը»։
― Օ՜։ Միսիս Ուիլյամսը պատասխանեց. ― Իսկ չորացնու՞մ է դրանք և դրե՞ք պահարանի մեջ։
Միսիս Բրիգսը զարմացավ. ― Դե, ― պատասխանեց նա, ― մեքենայի մեջ եղած իրերը մեկ ժամ հետո չորանում են, բայց դա, իհարկե, չի հեռացնում։
― Ես աման լվացող մեքենա ունեմ տասներկու ու կես տարի, ― ասաց միսիս Ուիլյամսը։
― Օ՜։ Միսիս Բրիգսը պատասխանեց. ‘ Իսկ դու իրերը դնում ես պահարանի՞ մեջ, երբ այն լվացել է։ Նա կատաղի ծիծաղեց։
― Այո, նա անում է, ― պատասխանեց միսիս Ուիլյամսը։ ― Նա չորացրեց ամանն ու դրեց։
A. Answer these questions.
- Where did Mrs. Briggs live?
Mrs. Briggs lived In a small street in London.
- Why was Mrs. Briggs surprised?
Mrs. Briggs was suprised, because Mrs. William asked her a question.
- Did Mrs. Briggs’s dishwasher dry the plates and other things?
Yes, it did.
- Did it put them away?
No, it didn’t.
- Did Mrs. Williams’s dishwasher put the things in the cupboard?
Yes, it did.
- Who was Mrs. William’s dishwasher?
Mrs. William’s dishwasher was her husband.
B. Write these sentences. Put one of these words in each empty place:
an, any, no, none, some
- Mrs. Briggs was rich, but Mrs. Williams was not. Mrs. Briggs had
some beautiful carpets, but Mrs. Williams didn’t have any.
- Mrs. Briggs had an expensive furniture, but Mrs. Williams had .none.
- Mrs. Briggs had an expensive dishwasher, but Mrs. Williams did
not have any machines in her kitchen.
- Mrs. Briggs had some nice roses in her garden, but Mrs. Williams had
no flowers in hers.
- Mrs. Briggs had some big trees in her garden too, but Mrs. Williams
C. Write this story. Put one of these words in each empty place:
he, him, his, her, it, its, she
Mrs. Williams had a good baby: she never cried, and her clothes were
always clean. Mrs. Briggs was very surprised and said, ‘When my daughter
was small, I gave her lots of food, but she cried a lot, and her clothes were
always dirty. Why is your baby so different? How do you do it ?’
‘Well,’ answered Mrs. Williams, ‘my first child was a boy. I always gave
him a lot of food, he got very fat, and his stomach was always full. He
cried a lot and was dirty. Now I give my new baby much less, and she is
happy and clean.’
- A couple was sitting on a bench. The man was reading a book while the woman knitting.
- The cheetah is the fastest land animal.
- What a nice view!
- We went to the cinema and saw a very funny movie. We really had a good time.
- You should take an umbrella, it’s going to rain.
- My father is a vet and my mum is a teacher.
- I need a new pair of shoes.
- What lovely shoes you have!
- I am against vivisection.
- She dislikes bananas.
- The banana i ate this morning was ripe.
- A dog is a pet she prefers; she thinks it is a faithful animal. Personally, i prefer cats.
- How much luggage do they have?
- He went to school by bike.
- Put the oil in the pan.
- Go past the and then it’s on your right. You can’t miss it!
- They play tennis twice a week.
- She has a shower every morning..
- Ann and Rob met by chance on the train.
- The boy who is sitting it the last row is my brother
- Will you pass me the salt, please?
- French are said to be presumptuous people.
- The live in Belgium but they were born in the USA.
- Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
- We had a romantic dinner cruise on the Seine.
- The Himalaya’s form a border betwen India and the rest of the Indian continent.
- I want to know the truth.
- Paul plays soccer better than he plays the guitar.
- Most boys are interested in cars.
- I heard on the radio that there had been a terrible eartquake in California las night.